Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Gibranian greetings

As some of you might know already, I am not exactly a fan of Khalil Gibran and usually have no patience for friends who go on and on about how cool the dude is. Some of you might also know that I have stopped voicing my opinions on Gibran following a mild altercation with a Gibran worshipper who also happens to be a friend. But this one is too good to miss. Falstaff, who seems to share a similar opinion of Gibran, has come up with the perfect utility for Gibran quotes(okay okay, poems if I have to call them that). The next time you want to send 'special' greetings to all and sundry, please think of Mr. Gibran. And say thank you to Falstaff.

Here are some pearls of wisdom that I am going to use in the near future:

- To my annoying nephew who keeps sending stories to magazines and doesn't hear anything back - "A shy failure is nobler than an immodest success."

- To my best friend in third grade who just sent me an invite for her wedding - "And think not you can guide the course of love. For love, if it finds you worthy, shall guide your course."

- To my college roomie who after long years of doing nothing(otherwise known as 'working towards a PhD') has finally graduated and is going to start working like us normal beings - "Work is love made visible."

- To my colleague who cannot stop talking about his recent breakup - "Love possesses not nor would it be possessed; for love is sufficient unto love."

- To all random Amway/Quixtar people who have given me their business cards in random grocery stores across the country - An entire chapter from The Prophet - I believe its titled 'Giving'.

2 comments:

J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Gibran had one good story (done many times before and after him) about how God needs the Devil.

The rest of that mystical twaddle is so easy to do. I'm glad you agree.

J.A.P.

Anand said...

after long years of doing nothing(otherwise known as 'working towards a PhD')

ha ha ...