Monday, October 24, 2005

There's only one Holly.

"So, what do I think of this Grady girl? Yes, darling, I was just getting to that. My first thought was what in the hell was Truman up to? I know he wrote this eons - well, at least a decade - before he wrote up my tale, and so maybe you just have to shrug the whole thing off as a flimsy, youthful endeavor, but still."

"To be perfectly frank, there's something - how should I put it? - a smidge contrived about the whole enterprise. It's not that I'm competitive with the girl - far be it from me to be jealous of anybody named Grady - but I get the distinct impression that Truman just didn't care about her story the same way he cared about mine. And the title of her tale: "Summer Crossing"? Not that I give a hoot about such things, but it just pales next to 'Breakfast at Tiffany's.'"

Michiko Kakutani reviews Capote's Summer Crossing.

No comments: