Saturday, November 26, 2005

Dollar exchange

The boy came to drop me off at Bombay domestic yesterday. We had arrived a little early, so we stood there outside the entry gate chatting about life, universe and the wedding. This shady dude came over to the boy and asked him whether he wanted to exchange dollars. Needless to say, I was in my best "I don't know a word of Hindi" mode, so I was spared. The boy said No, but this dude started telling him about how he gets the best exchange rates in town. The boy again said No and the exchange dude went away to some corner, stood there for 5 minutes and then came back promptly and asked the boy which city in Amrika he was from. The boy just shut up and pretended to talk to me in Tam. Ofcourse I couldn't understand what he was talking about, so I started speaking back in Mallu. It was a pretty entertaining coversation. After listening to our conversation for another 5 minutes, the exchange dude finally gave up and went away.

"How the @#%^ does he know we have dollars? He doesn't seem to be ambushing anyone else. Is it that obvious?"

We looked around and realised it was actually quite obvious. We were the only shabbily dressed people within a 50 ft radius!

No comments: