Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Wind of Change

"Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away
in the wind of change
Walking down the street
Distant memories
Are buried in the past forever
I follow the Moskva
Down to Gorky Park
Listening to the wind of change"

- Scorpions, Wind of Change

I was 11 years old. I woke up early and went downstairs to find both my parents poring over The Hindu. My mom never reads the newspaper until late morning and so I was surprised to see her leaning over my Dad's shoulder to read. They both looked up at me and my mom said: "Come, come read this. And then I will cut it out for your scrapbook. And we will cancel going to A uncle's house tonight. You wouldn't want to miss The World This Week."

I am pretty sure it was a Friday. Also remember seeing images on The World This Week. Or was it just the regular news?

Where were you when you heard the news? Today, 16 years ago?

[Update] - I thought this was one of my earliest political memories. But Anand, in his obituary to KR Narayanan reminds me of 1984, way before 1989.

1 comment:

Anand said...

I don't recall the day that clearly. I only remember reading about this and other similar developments over that period.