Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Feminists Strike Back

[Update - Nov 4] - Uma di has a comprehensive post on all things pertaining to this topic. Go read.

Wanted to post these links a couple of days ago but forgot all about it. Well, better late than never, so here. As soon as I read Maureen Dowd's What's a Modern Girl To Do? early this week, I knew there was going to be trouble. The article which is an excerpt from Dowd's new book was most definitely asking for it. Interviews with fellow journalists and TV show personalities, long-debunked research like this piece of trash the Times passed off as journalism a couple of months ago, and a picture of herself with red heels and fishnet stockings - who are we kidding here? I was shocked to see the article shoot up to the top of the Most Emailed Articles list and stay there for a couple of days. But never fear, dear reader. I am happy to report that reaction is trickling in. The usual suspects are having a field day.

Here are some initial responses:

From Womensnews, here's Rivers and Barnett with Why Dowd Doesn't Know What Men Really Want. They say it so well - "Dowd's writing is fun, but is basically a bunch of irritating fluff".

Lakshmi Chaudhry, she of Alternet says Maureen needs a date.

Here's Echidne, the Greek Goddess with her two cents.

Jessica of Feministing says here that "feminism wasn't a fucking dating service". Now if only I could make people realise that!

Gawker attempts to translate Dowd here but fails.

4 comments:

Falstaff said...

What? You mean I'm not the only guy out there who's actually attracted to intelligent, successful women and is more than happy to let them make decisions / pick up tabs? I knew it was too good to be true. Ah well. Now to go back and redraft that personals ad.

For the record, I think Rivers and Barnett do Ms. Dowd an injustice - her writing is fluff, agreed, but personally I think it's rather amusing - entertaining prose coupled with an almost outrageous disregard for facts / logic. What more could one ask for in a Sunday morning's worth of light reading

Veena said...

Falstaff: Are you sure you aren't attracted to these intelligent, successful women precisely because they pick up tabs? Though in your case I don't think it matters who you are attracted to. What's the point as long as they are not attracted to you? :)

Btw, here's an idea for a post - do a personals ad for yourself. Just thinking abt it makes me crack up.

Dowd's writing is definitely amusing, isn't that what Rivers and Barnett mean when they say 'fun'? Though I personally think it gets repetitive after a while.

Falstaff said...

Veena: That is so not true - I'll have you know that several women have told me they would almost certainly consider dating me if I WERE the last man left on earth. The trouble, of course, is that with all this emancipated, men go for successful women crap, women today have CHOICES. As in OTHER MEN. How can I compete with that?

As for the personal ad idea - you'd be surprised by how good I can sound on paper. And unless you've actually seen me wince at the sight of a kid or tasted my infamous scrambled eggs, how could you know that I'm not (as I would claim to be) a cordon bleu chef who's great with children?

Veena said...

Falstaff: Think you underestimate the power of lesbianism. Don't really think they would date you if you were the last man one earth considering that there are so many other women available.

Oh absolutely - I am sure you will look good on paper, don't question your writing skills at all. After all, isn't that your only redeeming feature? And that's exactly why I think you should do the post - think abt it, some strawberry blonde from the cornfields of IN might actually reply to the ad!

How do I know that you are not great with children?
Because I read your blog. Remember this?
http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=13924901&postID=113050095765866461