Monday, September 18, 2006

Flooded!

You know you live in the oldest house in the neighbourhood when an evening's rain is all it takes to lock you in.





Once upon a time, ours was the only house, the last on the line, and on the other three sides was wide, open land. Leave the doors open and we would get the bestest breeze in all of Malluland and so we called the house Thendral. The Killi River used to overflow during the monsoon, and I would watch from my high tower as the water slowly crept down from the embankment and filled up the space in front. The breeze is gone now, and the land too and the road in front is much higher than it used to be. I remember people used to make fun of how high the house was set from the road, wonder what they will all say now!

Btw, I am off to the Temple City and roundabouts for a couple of days and won't have access to the online world. Haven't been to Madurai in a while and so looking forward to all the jasmine. Before I go though, here's something to read - Falstaff's review of Carry Me Down. Yeah, this one made the shortlist, so go read and bet!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know, when I was in the Emirates a year ago I was shocked by the amount of the verdure in the Dubai hotel we stayed in and around it!!! It's a really very beautiful picture!!! I think that a lot of good designers worked over this beauty!!! Your photo cast pleant memories on me! Thank you!!! :)